Saturday, January 22, 2011

Melbourne-Bound

I’m typing this on the plane on the way to Melbourne, a city I haven’t visited since I was 14. Unfortunately, work has yet again forced The Husband to stay in Karratha (it really does get in the way far too often) so I am making this trip alone but I shall not be all on my lonesome – I will be joining The Parents at the hotel. The main reason for this little sojourn is to catch some of the Australian Open, a Grand Slam I am yet to watch other than on the small screen. In fact, this is only the second year in which I have even watched it on the telly as usually it is on in the middle of the night, what with Australia being the other side of the world to England. And I am not quite sad enough to stay up through the night to watch a ball being batted to and fro across a net. However, going to watch it live is a completely different ball game (pun absolutely intended) and I am really quite excited about it.


The only Grand Slam I have ever been to is Wimbledon and I just adore going – the rare sunny weather, the excitement like electricity crackling in the air, the Pimms, the strawberries and cream, the pomp and ceremony of it all. I have no doubt that the Aussie Open will be rather different – more relaxed probably, less formal, more Australians I expect – but it’s the differences that I’m looking forward to. I want to see what other Grand Slams are like, how another country approaches such an important event. Eventually I would like to visit all 4 Grand Slams but 2 will do for now. You see now why I had to go even if The Husband was chained to his desk, for when was I going to get the chance to get to go to the Australian Open again? It’s a long, long way from Reading.

So anyway, here I am on my way to a city I haven’t visited in 14 years – half my life ago in fact. I expect it has changed a bit since then and will in any case seem very different to me now, seen through the eyes of a 28 year-old married woman rather than a 14 year-old schoolgirl. It was actually a school trip that took me there all those years ago, a drama trip on which I remember more about the boy with the floppy hair and the dimpled smile that I developed a massive crush on than the city itself. So I am also incredibly excited about wandering down Melbourne’s famous Laneways, gazing up at the buildings in Federation Square and immersing myself in a bit of culture. I did the trip to Ramsey Street last time - the other thing, along with Dimples that stands out most in my mind. Yes, there is much for me to see this time round – there is definitely more to Melbourne than cute boys and Neighbours. At least I hope there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment