Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 2 on Samet, Part 1: Just a Little Bite to Begin the Day


I woke early after a fairly restless night - it felt strange to be in a big bed all on my own, without The Husband there. I imagine he, however, probably slept brilliantly, able to fully stretch himself out in the middle of the bed, as he is not allowed to do when I am there. I met The Parents on the beach for a pre-breakfast stroll and was greeted with glorious sunshine, blue skies and a light, cooling breeze. The tide was in so we ducked under the low branches of trees normally far from the water, stepped over kayaks tied together at the top of the beach, and dodged the murmuring sea, creeping up to our toes. The sand was soft and cool under our feet and only our rumbling tummies convinced us to take the few steps from the beach up to the restaurant where the buffet breakfast was laid out.

We sat at an al fresco table and were immediately served fresh cups of steaming coffee, which we drank whilst looking out at the sea. Well, that lasted for about 30 seconds before the lure of the tables groaning with food was too much to resist and I undertook the preliminary sweep, calculating in my head what I would have and when. These things have to be thought out very carefully to ensure that you have room for as much as possible and don't spoil your hunger on a big bowl of cereal. I have seen many a person fall at this first hurdle. Rookie mistake. I pick up a small bowl and place a few pieces of pineapple, papaya and cantaloupe melon in it, topping it off with a spoonful or two of bircher muesli. The fruit is fresh and bursting with flavour, and the muesli is packed full of coconut slivers. A perfect starter. Time for course 2.

On my initial reccy I noticed a sushi station with an assortment of different types on five platters. A tad unusual for breakfast maybe, but then again I have on various occasions had fried rice, noodles and dim sum at this time of the day before. I do live in Asia, after all. So I selected four different types, spooned a small amount of wasabi onto the side of the plate and took it back to the table. The Parents weren't convinced that sushi at 9am was a good idea and declined to try any. It was absolutely delicious though, and a perfect breakfast dish. After all, the English have kippers and smoked mackerel for breakfast so why not sushi? Other than a couple of dangerous wasabi moments, which left me with tears streaming down my face and my nose close to exploding, it was possibly the most enjoyable part of my breakfast. So, to course 3.

I thought I would continue with the fish theme and order scrambled eggs from the egg station, topped with some smoked salmon, served on a slice of toasted crusty bread. Perfection. I just had room after this for course 3, or what I like to call 'a little sweet something' (this makes it sound less naughty than 'pastries and cakes'!). Accompanied by a second cup of coffee, I indulged in a pineapple pastry and a pan au chocolat. By now I truly was full but it was worth it. The only problem now was that I had to get my bloated breakfast belly into a bikini!

No comments:

Post a Comment