Monday, January 18, 2010

Caution: Air Conditioners May Cause Harm

I am currently sitting rather lopsidedly in front of the computer, tentatively hitting keys, waiting for yet another spasm of pain to engulf my body and cause me to stop and wait for the pain to subside. I woke early in the morning with some slight back pain but just assumed that I had slept funny on it so I changed my position and drifted off to sleep again. An hour later I woke with a dull ache on my right shoulder. Attempting to shift around, I yelled out as pain shot through the entire right side of my upper back and shoulder. I knew I had to try to move and, if possible, get out of bed, to prevent it from completely seizing up, but every slight movement was agony. Ten minutes later I had managed to shuffle to the edge of the bed but lifting my head and upper body was proving to be a problem. Every time I tried, pain coursed through my back and I shouted out in both pain and frustration. I think I invented several new swear words this morning.

Eventually, half an hour later and desperate for the toilet, I succeeded in hauling myself up from the bed and made it to the bathroom, walking with my head at a rather peculiar angle and my body leaning to the right. I soon discovered that when you can't tilt your head back, taking paracetamol is rather tricky. I managed to swallow the first one by bending my legs and forcing my whole body backwards but the second one got stuck on the roof of my mouth. I now know that paracetamol tastes disgusting. Sharp and acrid. The foul taste prompted an involuntary sudden movement which sent me into further pain.

I am now sitting, very straight, trying to remember to move my head from side to side every couple of minutes to keep my back and shoulder from seizing up. The Husband reckons we had the air conditioner on too high last night and the cold air blowing onto my body has caused my muscles to lock. Just another one of the perils of living in a tropical country I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment