Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Fun To Be Had With A Tyre

When we were busy trying to get our tyres out of the sand on Sunday, we could have been tyre-throwing (which, incidentally, was just what I felt like doing on several occasions that afternoon). If there’s one thing the outback is good for, it’s random events. Country towns don’t get major art exhibitions or West End stage productions so they have to create their own entertainment. Not content with sporting competitions, fun days or fetes, the Karratha Enduro and Motorcross Club hosted a car and bike show which included a, and I quote, ‘His & Hers Tyre Throwing Competition’. I am devastated – if only I had known, I would have been the first to sign up. I do love me a bit of tyre-throwing.


After a quick search on Google, the only other reference to tyre throwing competitions I found was in The Bahama Journal, a local newspaper in the Bahamas. They too hold such a contest, the first one being last year, and, if the paper is to be believed, it went down an absolute storm. What I loved was this comment made by the organiser: ‘"I came up with the idea by simply brain storming on something Bahamians can do to have fun and I hope this becomes a fun hobby for us in The Bahamas. You don't need to go to the gym, you don't need to get fit, you can go to any junk yard or tyre shop and get an old tyre, practice, and have some fun," he said.’ Who needs museums, art galleries, cinemas and theatres when you have an old tyre?

No comments:

Post a Comment