Monday, September 27, 2010

Summertime Blues

I have today learnt a couple of valuable lessons that will help me segue into life in summertime Karratha.


1)Never open your mouth when running, even to breathe. It is an incontrovertible fact that you will swallow at least one fly and probably more. You must master the technique of breathing in and out through your nose only if you don’t want to be like that old lady. You know, the one who swallowed a fly. Hopefully I won’t die. But then I won’t be swallowing a horse.

2)Always bring water with you when you go for a run, even if it is 5pm and you’re only running for 20 minutes. It is still only spring here and it is hot. It is very, very hot. 36 degrees centigrade today. Thank God for air-conditioning. Unfortunately, that only works at home and not while you’re running outside. Water is essential to ensure you don’t collapse in a heap by the side of the road.

I am sure I will learn further lessons, all the hard way, in the next few months. Summer in Karratha is going to be tough but with air-conditioning, ice cream and chilled white wine I am sure I will get through it. I’m not sure how much longer I will be able to run outdoors though. Jane Fonda might once again become my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment