Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How to Feel Festive in 30 Degree Heat

Yesterday heralded the first day of the festive season and I was determined not to let the fact that it does not feel Christmassy here at all to detract from that. I opened day one on my advent calendar and got stupidly excited about the candle the window revealed, and propped up our first Christmas card. In the afternoon I made mince pies, while listening to Christmas music on a strange online Christmas radio station that seems to only play Christmas music all year round. The smell of mincemeat gave me my first Christmas buzz, the smell of them baking my second! Our friend Michelle very kindly donated her Christmas tree to us as she has moved to a much smaller apartment since last Christmas and doesn’t have any spare sockets for it this year, so the tree went up, plus decorations and lights whilst some mulled wine heated on the hob - Christmas smell number three; check.

In order to be able to enjoy drinking mulled wine, I jacked the air-con up until the living room was at a nice, cool temperature. Not exactly very green I know, but we’re so good during the rest of the year and I think the occasion warranted it. I roasted pumpkin, potatoes, bacon, sausages and sage for a quasi-Christmassy meal, followed of course by the mince pies made earlier in the day. We then slumped on the sofa and watched a Christmas movie with hot chocolates. Who says you can’t feel Christmassy in 30 degree heat in Thailand?!

No comments:

Post a Comment