Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The UK High Street Storms Thailand

I went to Tesco yesterday - yes, bizarrely there are Tescos in Thailand. It's true, Tesco really is taking over the world, though the Tescos here are nothing like the ones in the UK. I don't recall our local Tesco in Reading having a pick 'n mix meat section, nor a whole aisle dedicated to fish sauce. It is rather strange seeing the Tesco logo on a pot of shrimp paste. Plus, there are definitely more Thai people.

Along with the weekly food shop I needed some more moisturiser. I scoured the skincare section but, despite it displaying well-known brands such as L'Oreal, Olay and Garnier, there wasn't one product that didn't contain whitening ingredients. Now, I go to the pool at least once a week to maintain my tan, I work very hard on it, the last thing I want to do is slather on cream that makes me paler. It's that global irony - those who live in hot, permanently sunny countries want pale skin and those living in gloomy, grey, cold countries want a year-round tan. You won't find St. Tropez in Boots here! Yes, there is also a Boots. Lots of Boots' in fact - it seems they're not just on every high street in the UK, but in every shopping centre and on ever street corner in Thailand too! Top Shop, Miss Selfridge, Next, they're all here. There's even a Dorothy Perkins in Central, the smartest shopping centre in Pattaya. Apparently Dotty P's is posh here! Perhaps poor old Woolies should start up afresh over here, the trusty high street shop would probably be considered terribly chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment